Coaching at Syntient
Coaching is collaboration between two or more people for the purpose of building skills or transferring knowledge. It is the coach’s role to assess the skills of the person being coached and then to provoke that persons development in the targeted areas. The person being coached is responsible for doing the work, physically, mentally and emotionally, to gain the desired new skills. The growth occurs through the mindfulness of the people involved.
The Art of Coaching consists of:
Action – practice, experimentation, honest effort, and rehearsal. New skills are built. They don’t occur by insight alone.
Reflection – learning new lessons, looking at old situations from a different point of view, and seeking insights to the dynamics of personal interactions
Taking the measure of what occurs – Learning comes from getting feedback on one’s efforts. It comes from setting goals and measuring the intermediate step on the journey from where you are to where you want to be.
Focuses on leadership and long-term vision. Coaching is about expending your definition of your role and giving you the skills and insights to lead others in a deliberate manner to reach goals they have not yet been able to achieve.
Focuses on the growth required to increase your competence in your current role or preparing yourself for a new one. We help people address “career derailers”, understand their situations from new perspectives, and to alter their strategies for creating the outcomes they seek.
Focuses on helping people effectively manage their approaches to major transitions in their lives. These can include moving from workers to managers, developing retirement strategies, and exiting their current endeavors to pursue more fulfilling roles to name a few.
Coaching is about acting with purpose. It is goal directed. It requires a certain amount of due diligence.
- Assessing the person involved
- Assessing the context in which the person currently operates
- Defining a clear expectation regarding the end of a coaching relationship
- Measuring performance in relation to stated goals
The Art of Mentoring
Mentoring is the establishment of a “trusted advisor” relationship with the mentee. Teaching is the sharing of information and knowledge, while mentoring includes those plus the sharing of wisdom,strategic perspectives for problem-solving, and articulating the criteria for success.
Syntient can help you and your organization with your mentoring strategies in several ways:
- We can build your mentorship skills
- We can serve as your substitute for mentoring your staff
- We can install a mentoring process in your organization.
Benefits to a Mentoring Program
- Identify employees within your organization that think from the perspective of the boss and can be trained to become the “brain trust” of the organization
- Enhance group problem-solving skills within your organization. Group problem solving is more effective when more individuals can contribute to the decisions.
- Prepare individuals for higher leadership roles